Monday, May 25, 2009

Learning............

When others whine and complain about not being able to do something it always irritates me. How do they know they can't do it unless they try? Then I heard myself complaining and whining about not being able to machine quilt. I was looking at the latest AQS Magazine and moaning over all the fabulous quilters and how I could never do what they do. Well, of course I can't. I've never tried very hard. A few attempts now and then, but when my workmanship is less than ideal, I give up. So today I decided to start working at it - practicing. Yes, practicing. If I practice a little each day I just might eventually improve.
I gathered all my books on machine quilting and the things I have printed out from the internet, and I sat down to read and study. Then I went to the machine and practiced different types of machine quilting.
I tried stippling.

I made these stems of triangles


And I worked on doing clusters.


It is a beginning. As you can see, I have a lot of practicing ahead of me. Sigh.


3 comments:

MB said...

A doctor practices; why not you? In fact those stitches are better than some of the emergency room sewing jobs I've seen!!

I love how you tackle life SMC!

Anonymous said...

And Bonnie FYI that's how I learned to applique....I took the entire summer a few years ago to practise and I hope I improved......
I am thinking about doing the same thing you are doing now. Maybe next week !!!! LOL
Liz

Jackie said...

Keep practicing! I'm new to free motion quilting too and that's what everyone keeps telling me! I'm determined to learn!