Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wallace Nutting

These are two pictures from my small collection of Wallace Nutting pictures. You have to be fairly old to know about Wallace Nutting pictures. Wallace Nutting pictures are actually black and white photographs that he hand painted. They became very popular (before color photographs) and were sold by Sears Roebuck & Co. Because they were so popular, there was no way that one man, Wallace Nutting, could possibly paint all the pictures that were sold. In fact, there were many people painting these pictures and signing them with Wallace Nutting's signature. I have a book telling the history of these pictures and about the life of Wallace Nutting.

I particularly like the scenery pictures of lakes and quiet country roads. They are very meditative and serene. It would be lovely to transport myself into one of these pictures for a quiet hour or so.

2 comments:

Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Hi Bonnie, Thanks for the info about Wallace Nutting, I will search for paintings "by him" in the antique shops. Yes, wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to transport yourself, just for an hour, to someplace so serene.

Sacheverelle said...

You don't have to be that old..I am 39 & was just able to score my first signed Nutting interior for $41. I learned about him working at an auction. I didn't know they were sold through Sears.