Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Skills

Do you have a skill?  Are you an expert photographer or quilter or writer?  Are you good at knitting or gardening?  Or are you like me and struggle to feel adequate?   I enjoy knitting but it is a skill in which I barely feel adequate.  The patterns sometimes overwhelm me with repeats and I fear getting lost.  So my solution is to make a spreadsheet listing each and every row.  I check off each row as I go along and recount my stitches.  It is tedious, but prevents me from making those easy mistakes when I am not paying attention.

Shawl knitting 001

I’m working on a shawl in which there are increases every row and pattern changes fairly often to make an interesting texture.  I have learned some new stitches and patience.  I got to this point once before, but there were so many mistakes I tore it all out and started over again.  It is fun to knit though.  It is teaching me and helping me to have more confidence in my knitting skills.  If/When I complete this project, I promised myself that I would give socks another try. (How many times have I promised that?)

Here is a close-up of my work so far. 

Shawl knitting 002

Not much of the pattern shows in the picture.  My camera is not the best or I’m not a great photographer.  The yarn has a little sparkle which is also not caught by the camera. 

(Please note that I do have excellent EXCEL skills!)

Bonnie

1 comment:

MB said...

Methinks your auto-focus is fixed on what isn't EXCELlent instead of what is!! So easy to do ... negative self-talk is too easy!! Look at you challenging yourself! COOL! Talk about engaging the brain and exercising that very important body part!! And what patience and endurance you are exhibiting!! And yes, I can attest to your EXCELlent EXCEL skills. You rock!