Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Absolutely Free

A young man, in a uniform shirt with the name AMP and Guardian Protection,  just came to my front door.  He asked me if I knew about the recent break-ins in my neighborhood and proceeded to tell me about four or five homes within a few blocks that had break-ins.  Then he told me that even though my house was not technically on the corner, it was the first house facing the street and therefore he could install an alarm system in my home completely free of charge if I would display a small sign in my front yard.


I am old enough to bristle at the "absolutely free of charge" phrase because in my experience there is always a catch.  He kept assuring me that there was no catch.  Hmmmmm.


He went on and on.  I listened politely for a while, then told him I had company coming - which is true.  I told him I would be glad to read whatever literature he might want to leave, and that I would look up this company and his "deal" on the Internet.


First of all, I do not appreciate him using scare tactics with the stories of local break-ins.  I read the local newspaper every day and there has been no news of local break-ins.  Secondly, the two houses behind me are occupied by local policemen.  Thirdly, I don't think a Guardian Protection sign is going to stop criminals from deciding to break into my house.  They would be sorely disappointed in what they would find in my house anyway.  I have no jewelry other than cheap costume jewelry.  I have no big fancy TVs, just small cheap ones I bought at Wal-Mart.  I do not keep money in my home nor on my person.  All my furniture is inexpensive or hand-me-downs.  There simply is nothing worth stealing, except fabric and that is slowly getting depleted.


Does anyone out there in blogland know about Guardian Protection and their "free systems"?  I am very skeptical.

1 comment:

MB said...

If they are the same, I had Guardian in Indy on Central and loved the service. I'd all the company and check him out to see if he's real. Protection folks still go door to door for their marketing but I agree that scare tactics are distasteful.