Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Measure twice, cut once, ha ha ha ha ha

The quilt I am currently working on is very simple.  It is scrappy and is comprised of large rectangles – 6-1/2 X 9-1/2.  Yesterday I got the last of the rectangles all cut and today I started sewing them together in rows. 

longdivisionmistake 001

Easy, easy, easy.  However, when I went to sew the rows to each other, things were not matching up.  How could this be?  I measured my pieces and discovered that quite a few measured 6 inches across instead of 6-1/2.  What to do?  My solution?  I made a design change and the middle row will now consist of rectangles with a strip down the middle.

longdivisionmistake 002

Hmmm.  I kinda like these.  Should I go back and change all the others?  Oh dear, it was supposed to be such a simple quilt.  I think I will stick with one row of these split rectangles and just leave it a simple scrappy quilt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday I pulled out an old, old stitchery.  It is a big piece and this is just a little portion of it.  I put it away because I didn’t care for the colors, but now I’m liking the colors – soft blues and beiges. 

longdivisionmistake 003

Maybe it will eventually get finished.  I love it when that happens!

Bonnie

1 comment:

MB said...

What a wonderful, creative solution!