Friday, July 15, 2011

Another top done

This morning I finished another quilt top -

IMG_1083

The idea came from Heirloom Creations Blog Jelly Roll 1600 Quilt.  I did not have any Jelly Rolls, but I have plenty of 2-1/2” strips in my scraps.  I was even able to stick with green, red and a couple of golds to make it a Christmas quilt.  I don’t know if I will add borders or not, but I will piece together Christmas fabric scraps for the backing.

According to the above referenced blog, one lady did this quilt (after sewing all the strips together) in 35 minutes.  Not me!!!  The first seam took me one hour due to repeated thread breaks.  The second seam took me a half hour, but then the rest went pretty quickly. 

I have also seen this quilt idea done in batiks and scrappy (with spacers instead of joining at an angle) at Exuberantcolor.blogspot.com – scroll down to July 14th and July 12th.

It is amazing that I used 1600 inches of 2-1/2” scrap strips and yet my 2-1/2” drawer is still jammed full.  I swear it mates and reproduces when I turn my back.

Bonnie

3 comments:

MB said...

LOVE the color palette!! Rich and fun and yes, even Christmasy!!

BrendaS said...

Great colors and you got to use fabric from your stash:))

Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Hi Bonnie! Wonderful! I've heard that this pattern is used for "quilt races"! ha ha ha! I'm sure it would take me a lot longer than 35 minutes to make this quilt top.