Thursday, May 5, 2011

Smiles

Currently I am reading Finding Water by Julia Cameron (of Artist's Way fame).  One of her suggested weekly disciplines is to have what she terms an "artist's date".  Translated, it means taking yourself to a museum, an art gallery, a park, a book store, a fabric store, or any place that has beautiful things to inspire you.  


In the chapter I read today, she suggested that you go to the children's section of a book store and spend an hour looking at the colorful artwork and charming stories.  I did just that and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  The best part was that the only other customers were a mother and child. They were seated at a small table and the mother was reading a book out loud to the child.  The child was enthralled.  It made me smile.


As I drove home and passed a doctor's office I saw another mother with two small children. The children had discovered the tree at the edge of the parking lot.  It was a tree with two trunks and the V it formed came right down to the ground - a fascinating structure for small children to explore.  Ah, to be observant and curious like a child.  It made me smile.


Even though it is May, the weather is still cool and I am still wearing sweat shirts.  Now that really makes me smile!


1 comment:

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Hi Bonnie..I haven't heard of Finding Water. After I read your post I checked when I did Artist's Way and it was 5 years ago! I started the Writing Diet 2 years ago but didn't finish that book. Have you read The Vein of Gold? A friend loaned it to me and I read parts of it. I want to do the Narrative Time Line task from that book. Sounds like you had a good artist's date...there is wonderfulness all around us if we just look. :)