Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stitching Wisdom

Slow, slow progress on my CCN The Book Store – BUT…….
IMG_1011
at my advanced age, I am still learning.  I wanted to get this piece done so that I could start in on the new things I purchased.  When I hurry, guess what happens?  Yep, you are right.  I get knots and snarls.  Then I try to undo the knots and snarls......then I get mad........then I fling my work across the room – which makes me look like a mad woman.  It makes me hate stitching and I vow I will never stitch another thing for the rest of my life. So there!


That happened the other day in my peaceful, quiet living room.  I got up from my chair, turned out the lights, and did not return to the room for several days. 


When I felt somewhat sane again, I returned, picked up my Q-snapped project, calmly cut out the huge snarl, undid the work back to where I had enough thread to weave it into the back, and checked to make sure I had not damaged anything.


So, what did I learn?  I learned to be mindful of my stitching – to feel the thread on the back as I pull it to the front checking that it is not forming a knot – watching the stitch on the front making sure that it is lying flat.  Stitching is not something to be done quickly or mindlessly.  Yes, this is about the twelve-hundred and umpteenth time I have had to learn this lesson. 


I hurry because I’m always in a rush to get to the next thing.  It would be so much better if I focused on the moment, enjoy what I am doing, and be more present in my life. 


Maybe a nice cup of tea will sooth my hurried ways and help me enjoy my stitching time.

No comments: