Monday, December 5, 2011

Downtown Chicago

Today I took the train to downtown Chicago.  I live in the northwest suburbs, just a few blocks from the train station.  The friends I was meeting got on the train two stops before mine and fortunately I found them without any difficulty.  We gabbed all the way to the city, grabbed two cabs, and headed for Harry Caray’s restaurant on West Kinzie Street. 

We were treated like royalty with excellent service and complimentary desserts.  Everyone enjoyed their food.  I had a turkey burger with brie and cranberry sauce, AND sweet potato fries.  The burger was delicious and the sweet potato fries were the best I have ever had.  Oh my.

When we got back to the railroad station, we had plenty of time to do some shopping and our noses took us right to the Garrett popcorn store.  Garrett popcorn is extremely popular in Chicago.  Why?  Because they make everything fresh each day and have great recipes for cheese and caramel corn.  Of course I bought some.

garrett popcorn 001

Since I was still full from lunch I decided to forgo making dinner and instead I had a bowl of Garrett cheese/caramel combination popcorn, while I put a small jigsaw puzzle together.

garrett popcorn 004

Among my long list of favorite things to do is eating popcorn and putting jigsaw puzzles together.

After walking to and from the station (in the cold rain), gabbing and laughing with my friends, eating heartily, and concentrating on a puzzle, I’m pleasantly tired and grateful for a lovely day.

Bonnie

2 comments:

MB said...

Just knew you'd have a wonderful day ... wish you didn't have to walk in the rain and I hope you get good rest tonight! The description of the lunch and the popcorn are making me envious!! And hungry!!

Penny said...

Sounds like a great day was had by all.