Monday, February 13, 2012

Red Inner Border

How do you measure the strips for long borders?  I remember when I first started quilting I never measured.  I just cut the right width, sewed the strip on to the quilt and cut off any excess.  Sometimes it worked quite well and sometimes I had rather wavy borders.

Now I measure very carefully.  When the measurement is quite long, it takes some creative methods to get that accurate cut.

red border 001 

 

Then of course it has to be carefully pinned before sewing.  Recently I discovered that if I did my pinning while sitting comfortably in my big chair, instead of hunched over the sewing machine table,  pinning was becoming a favorite task!

red border 004

 

The red border looks good. 

red border 005

What’s left to be done?  The final gold border, the backing, professional quilting, and the binding.  It is getting close enough to the end of the long process that I am already envisioning handing over the finished quilts to my cousin and seeing them on her guest beds.  It makes me smile.

Bonnie

No comments: