Sunday, August 22, 2010

08/22/10 - Food

Breakfast - toast, an egg, grapes

Lunch - my brother-in-law sprung for lunch today after church. We went to Outback. He immediately ordered an onion blossom of which I had a small serving. It was a little spicy for me and I tamed it down with ranch dressing. For my lunch I ordered a wedge salad and a baked sweet potato. I didn't read the menu correctly and was surprised that the wedge salad came with two thick slices of roast beef. I really didn't want the beef, but since it was on the plate I took a bite. The first bite was tender and good. So I took a second bite. Oops. A piece of gristle. At home I would just spit it out, but in a restaurant it becomes awkward. I could have fairly easily spit it out into a paper napkin but wouldn't you know, this restaurant had cloth napkins. Well, I did spit it into my napkin and later, I quietly transferred the piece of gristle to my plate. The wedge of lettuce was OK, but it was on a small plate making it hard to cut up and distribute the dressing over the lettuce. I only ate about half of the lettuce. Then the baked sweet potato was awful. How can you screw up a baked potato? I think this potato was old, old, old. It was stringy and mushy soft. I left most of it. It was very nice of my brother-in-law to treat for lunch, but I was not impressed with the food. (The waitress was very nice.)

Supper - a friend at church gave me a box of Tastefully Simple Perfect Parmesan Biscuit Mix because she knows I like the biscuits at Red Lobster. I decided to make them for supper as I happened to have the only ingredient you need to add - cheddar cheese. The biscuits are great. I ate two for supper. That's all, just two biscuits. It was an excellent supper and according to the package, two biscuits would be 280 calories. That's not too bad for one meal.

Snack - now, the meals I had today were not the most healthy, but I don't think I went overboard on the calories. However, I made up for that in one fell swoop by having the half piece of pie from my lunch the other day at Baker's Square. Probably a bazillion calories. However, it did have fresh peaches, dairy (whipped cream), grain (crust), and more dairy (cream cheese). See, healthy as can be!

No comments: