Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's been a while......

It has been a while since I have written anything on this blog.  The reason is because I have had nothing to say about my eating or overeating.  The reason I have nothing to say is because it just seems to be the same old story over and over again.  It becomes weary.  I want to lose weight but I am not willing to exercise or eliminate certain foods from my diet.  I'm stubborn.  I'm a rebel.


Currently I am reading Gretchen Rubin's book The Happiness Project and also following her blog.  There was a posting on her blog the other day about being either an abstainer or a moderator.  In other words, if you were dieting, the abstainer would eliminate certain foods completely from their diet.  The moderator though would rebel against this and the best way for that person would be to learn moderation.


I am definitely not an abstainer.  The minute someone tells me I shouldn't/can't have ice cream or peanut butter or bread, I rebel and it becomes like the elephant in the room.  All I can think about is ice cream, peanut butter and bread. 


My approach is definitely moderation.  That is why I am trying so hard to be mindful of when I am full and not eat beyond that point.  


For someone who has ignored that full feeling all her life, it is not easy to change.  Some days I do well and others, like today, I fail miserably.


In the book, The Happiness Project, Gretchen takes on a new challenge each month.  On her blog she has a sign-up to do your own happiness project.  I considered doing that, but then I feel that I am generally already happy.  I like my life, my family, my friends, my church, my hobbies.  I am blessed with decent material possessions, good health, and a brain that works.  


The one big "unhappiness" in my life is being overweight and the lack of discipline to do something about it.  If I were to become highly disciplined and lost 40 to 50 to 60 pounds, would I then be completely and totally happy?  Would my life become a bed of roses?  Of course not.  Life would be exactly the same.  The only difference would be that I might enjoy clothes shopping more.  However, since I am retired and don't have that much money to spend on clothes, perhaps the clothes shopping wouldn't be all that much fun after all.


So in order to get control, be disciplined, change my habits, I need to be motivated. I don't think that clothes alone is a good motivation.  Continued good health is a good motivation.  I cannot argue with that.  OK, I may have just talked myself into a new attitude.  Continued good health.  Yes, I like that.............I shall set my sights on Continued Good Health.

2 comments:

MB said...

Dear cousin ... health is my driver. Watching mom go down hill was such an eye opener. Not that I responded quickly mind you and at the drop of a hat I can easily sleep in and not go walking! But I know each year adds challenges to staying healthy that I can't change so diet, exercise and being mentally active I can control. Control ... so very hard and you know what a Control Freak I am!! So why do I not control this one are??? Is that part of it ... is there some sort of helpful release here that I get by not controlling and feeling the joy of lack of restraint? that's a long shot ... well, we keep working on it. I understand the feeling of "same old story" - and I understand the rebellion. Oh, and I do like finding clothes that look good ... I remember the fun you and I had years ago and the reality that it's easier to find good, cheaper stuff when we weigh less. That's not fair, but it's true!

So day by day we keep at it ... thinking problem. Continues to be a thinking problem.

Loving you and sending you hugs!!

LouAnn said...

yes, health is the driver and yes, it's the same over and over again but so is scrubbing your teeth, taking a shower, washing the dishes, etc...so it's joy in the mundane..plain and simple(hmmmmmm...sounds like a good book title to me)keep at it ...you are worth it