Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Stop and taste the food.

Tonight, as I was scarfing down my supper,  it suddenly occurred to me that I was scarfing down my supper.  No wonder I get hungry in between meals.  I eat my meals so fast that I don't even remember them.

I put my fork down, took a deep breath, and relaxed.  There was no reason to rush through my meal.  Why was I in such a hurry that I wasn't even tasting my food?  Then it hit me.  I was rushing to get to that full feeling, worried that I might not reach it at this meal.

Yes, it has been a revolution for me to understand the full feeling and be able to stop eating.  But because it is so new and not an ingrained habit, I worry each meal that I will not reach that sensation.  Therefore, I have been rushing through my meals to get to that point and not really enjoying the food I was eating.  How insane.

My meal consisted of steamed broccoli and plain pasta with Parmesan cheese.  Not a fancy meal, but one I love and I wasn't even enjoying it.  I slowed down, put my fork down between bites, and concentrated on tasting the food.  So much better.

Food is good.  It should be enjoyed.  Another lesson learned.

No comments: