Sunday, April 25, 2010

04/25/10 - Food

Breakfast - peanut butter toast and a mandarin orange
Lunch - at church - half a Panera smoked turkey sandwich on rye bread, one bag of chips, 1/3 of a chocolate-chip cookie

This lunch was consumed while participating in a special class (Living the Question). The class was good and there was a good discussion, but I did find during the video clips that sometimes my mind wandered. I would think about how I was only eating half of the sandwich and I could save the other half for my supper. Or did I really want the other half? I could throw it away. But isn't that wasteful? And why did I eat part of the cookie? I certainly didn't need it and now I would need a Tums because the milk chocolate in the cookie is so hard for me to digest. On and on my mind wandered, straying far from the subject we were discussing.

Yes, I think too much about food. The same thing happened in Sunday School before church. Someone had brought a cinnamon coffee cake. It was hard to concentrate on the lesson every time I thought about that coffee cake sitting on the side table being ignored. Who brought it? Would their feelings be hurt if I didn't take a piece? Could I count one piece as my mid-morning snack? Why was I thinking about food while everyone else was thinking about the lesson?

This afternoon the local public TV station was showing the film FOOD, INC. I had seen a small snippet of the film on a talk show and decided to watch more of it today. It is hard to watch, especially the parts with the animals being slaughtered. It sure ruins your appetite. I know there are two sides to every story and this presents only one side, but it sure makes you think about the food that you put in your mouth. Especially the meat. It makes my peanut butter on toast look like the safest thing to eat!

Before the film, I was reading and in order to stay awake while I read, I need to munch on something, so I chose almonds again. An almond takes a while to chew thoroughly, so I can read quite a lot while only consuming a small amount of almonds.

I'm writing this before supper and I have not decided what I want for supper. I think a salad sounds the best - lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and some pickled beets for interest. Maybe a 100 calorie bag of Kettle Korn too, or just some bran crackers with WW cheese.

I have not looked at the TV listings for tonight yet, but I hope there is something good on TV that will occupy my mind enough to stop thinking about food. Or maybe I will just go to bed early.

1 comment:

MB said...

Times when your brain only thinks about food are so, well, painful. You don't want to think about it but it's as if you can't stop. Lots of research is happening about brain chemistry and "pleasure centers" in the brain and how certain things "light them up". Food is one of those stimulants. There are worse brain stimulants that really get a person in trouble (drugs and alcohol) and I'm glad that isn't where we are drawn. That's a good thing. Still - we've prayed for years to be let go from our attraction to food, to flavors and it's still a thorn. We keep working at it! Love YOU!!!