Monday, April 5, 2010

4/5/10 - Food

Breakfast was my usual toast and peanut butter - and 1/2 cup of Trader Joes applesauce. I had two containers of applesauce in the fridge - one from Trader Joes and one the grocery store generic brand. The generic had less calories than the Trader Joes and they are both plain applesauce. Why did one have more calories than the other? I looked more carefully and discovered that the generic brand contained added water! No wonder there are less calories - water has no calories. I'd rather have the Trader Joes because it tasted so much better - I'll just have to remember to have less - but that is easy when it tastes satisfying.

Lunch was just a snack of one deviled egg, some crab meat and a few carrots. Then I had one of those delicious Weight Watcher Fudge bars.

Supper was leftover casserole from yesterday and some green beans. For dessert I had a sweet and juicy Navel orange - again from Trader Joes. The oranges I have gotten from the local grocery store have no taste and I ended up throwing out most of a bag-full. The Trader Joes oranges are a little smaller, but fully developed and oh so sweet - as good as candy.

Today on the Oprah show, she mentioned a book - Women, Food and God, by Geneen Roth - that Oprah highly recommended. I decided I wanted to read the book. There is no Kindle edition, so I got in the car and went to the local book store to purchase a copy.

I started reading the book this afternoon, but discovered that I needed to read each sentence over and over again to get the meaning, not because it was so hard to understand but because my mind kept wandering. Each sentence lead my mind on a path of thinking. It was hard to stay focused. There is so much to this business of overeating and weight control. If there were an easy answer, everyone would be thin and no one would have a problem with food.

I really want to understand why I overeat and how I can take control. At the same time I don't want to deny myself the enjoyment of food. It is very complicated and full of emotion.

If I find answers for me in the book, Women, Food and God, I'll share my knowledge in this blog.

In the mean time, I have had the munchies tonight and have been snacking on almonds.

Bonnie

1 comment:

MB said...

You said a bunch when you type, "It is very complicated and full of emotion." -- and so it is!! Answers come so slowly and answers that worked for us in our 20's, 30's, etc., seem not to apply now. Is there one reason we eat or many? How much of it is in our genetic makeup and we can't change it, ever, but we can manage it, even though we hate to have to! All the good eating plans say we don't have to deny ourselves any enjoyment of food but you and I know that it's too easy to permit LOTS of enjoyment and bam!, we're in trouble with the scale. I always talk about the "flavor monster" and when that monster is awake, I lose control. So I'm better off not having some of the things that I would enjoy because I'll lose control ... the flavor grabs me and I can't stop. So, anyway, answers ... will always seek them and hope for them. Share all you find!!!