Friday, April 2, 2010

Writing as therapy

Many years ago my cousin introduced me to the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It is a book for everyone as we are all artists in one form or another. The important exercise that Julia Cameron teaches in this book is to write "morning pages" - a half hour of steady writing each morning, by hand.

After doing this handwriting/journal exercise on and off for years, I have discovered two things. 1. writing by hand is therapeutic, and 1. journaling is therapeutic. Therefore I have journal books all over my house - a morning journal, a night journal, a prayer journal, a study journal, and a food journal.

Now I am starting this journal - a public journal to discuss my food and weight issues, and my negative attitude about exercising. Why am I making this public? Well, I don't suppose it will be horribly public as I think probably my cousins will be the only ones interested in reading what I have to say, and by making it "public" I know that I will not be able to lie about what I am eating. Knowing that I am going to post what is going into my mouth and why I chose that cookie over celery will help me think first before I eat.

Having successfully done Weight Watchers several times, Diet Center once, low carb diets several times, counting calories many times, and an unsuccessful short time with Jenny Craig, you can see that I am the classic Yo-Yo dieter. I have never gone from year to year being able to wear the same size clothes as last season. My closet has oodles of clothes, most of which do not fit (too tight).

Right now I am at the upper end of the Yo-Yo and it is time to work my way back down. Slowly, thoughtfully, and with healthy choices, I want to start fitting into some of those clothes from last year.

I have been thinking about going back to Weight Watchers, but just don't know if I can discipline myself enough to count the points and carefully plan the daily meals. I'm still in the mode of wanting the extra weight to magically fall off.

Sunday is Easter and I am having the family over to my house for Easter dinner. The meal I planned is not low calorie and I am not going to change plans at this late date. It is what it is. I thought about waiting until after Easter to start this journal but why wait? That is like waiting until New Years Day to start a new resolution. Might as well start now while I am in the mood.

Here is my plan for this journal. I will post what I have eaten, what my mood was, what exercise I have done, and any other thoughts that cross my mind having to do with food or weight or dieting or exercise.

Whoever reads this public journal, I hope that you will encourage me to make healthy choices, celebrate when I lose some weight, and share what has worked for you.

Thanks for reading my blog.

BFL

3 comments:

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Bonnie...good luck with this. This is a good start to getting back on track. I am a lifetime WW member trying to get back to my goal also!! AND I have all kinds of journals including morning pages!!

Sara said...

Bonnie, I have spent the last 3 months with morning and evening walks, making sure I get my 10,000 steps every day. I can say from experience is does work! Down 10 pounds since New Years and hoping to do more even though I am currently at a plateau. I wish you all the luck and encouragment you need to stay with this. I know you can do it! Love you, Sara.

MB said...

I've got your back ... always have and always will. You will do what you decide to do. It's sort of like the "whether you can or can't, you're right" idea. We've walked this road side by side for years and we know the roadblocks, the failures, the successes, the fears, the joys. And I am where I am because of the decisions I make. May you and I both be open to the love and encouragement in this process to trust ourselves with good decisions that lead to good health and well being! I LOVE YOU!