Monday, May 31, 2010

05/31/10 - Food

Breakfast - toast with peanut butter and some fresh cherries

Lunch - spinach salad, 9 grain bread, baked potato chips, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free cookies

Supper - steamed chicken, onions, potato & broccoli, melba toast bites, spoonful of dark chocolate gelato.

Tonight when I was getting to the end of my bowl of steamed chicken (etc), I realized that I was full - very full. I wanted to finish up the end of what was left in the bowl - some potatoes and onions - but I stopped myself and reasoned that I did not have to eat that last little bit. Yes, I was brought up in the generation that was taught to "clean your plate" and consequently throwing out food is very difficult for me. I can easily do it in restaurants where the plate is taken away from me, but at home I find it extremely hard to throw out food. If there is quite a bit left, I will have it the next day, but if there is just a little bit left I almost always eat it in spite of the fact that I am full. I have to be very mindful to stop and make the decision to throw out the food. So, for me, throwing out those last few bits of potato tonight needs to be noted and counted as a step in the right direction - the direction towards food sanity.

No comments: